Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - debating ghosts, "spirits", and "shadow people"

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Paranormal | Reply to Topic ]
live and learnPosted: Aug 23, 2012 - 14:21
(0)

Level: 0
so with all the so-called stories or sightings of "ghosts" that you can find pretty much anywhere online. Is there a scientific explanation for the sighting of ghosts? whether it be a relative or someone random that the person does not know?

and what about so-called "ghosts" in photos? obviously this can be faked, but some people believe that you can actually capture a photo of a ghost
take this site for example:( http://www.ghostresearch.org/ghostpics/ ). one confusing thing is even if there's the scientific explanation for people seeing ghosts of either relatives, or just random people they don't know, I can't find an explanation for the so-called ghosts in photos, obviously some ghost photos are just fakes, as for the ones that are "real" is there a scientific explanation for this?

another thing, I have no clue what "shadow people" are but this discussion forum here: ( http://community.aetv.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=119137&w=267430&d=334854 )

in that discussion forum, quite a number of people claim to have had paranormal experiences whether it be with "ghosts" or "spirits" or so-called "shadow people"...never heard that one before

so what do you think? especially the many "stories" on that forum, maybe just something wrong with their brain-chemistry causing hallucinations? and whatever else could cause people to believe that what is happening to them is the work of so-called "spirits", "shadow-people" etc...?

hmm, just saw this comment on some other site: ( "hey dude ghosts are TO REAL i have prof i may be 13 but i have prof cause i talk to one almost every day hard to belive i know but its 100% TRUE GHOSTS ARE REAL i write stuff down the next week or two theres someones writing on that paper says stuff about him/her so GHOSTS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" )

and tons of other comments: (http://www.theinsidegeek.com/2011/09/are-ghosts-real-a-quantum-science-explanation/ ) found while I was looking for a scientific explanation to explain ghost sightings or "spirit" sightings and such

I'm not going to automatically believe that statement, but I'm still wondering what the scientific/rational explanation for these things are, especially the comments from the other site linked above ^.
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
live and learnPosted: Aug 23, 2012 - 16:51
(0)

hmm, also, anyone else seen this youtube channel? : http://www.youtube.com/user/SpiritualDimensionX

I dunno what to think of it
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Dr_Benedict_ZaroffPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 09:22
(0)

Level: 1
CS Original
I think believing in these phenomena is no more hurtful than eating bacon. Bacon doesn't add a whole lot of nutritional, but it makes a lot of things better. But if that's all you have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll find yourself in a whole lot of trouble -- and that soon.

Fair?
#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
live and learnPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 11:06
(0)

maybe, but I'm trying to find a rational explanation for why people experience these things and think that this stuff is real. Everything I posted above ^ , I really need help with this one, what could the explanation for each of these paranormal experiences be, and anything like it?
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Dr_Benedict_ZaroffPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 13:25
(0)

CS Original
Quote from Newbie

maybe, but I'm trying to find a rational explanation for why people experience these things and think that this stuff is real. Everything I posted above ^ , I really need help with this one, what could the explanation for each of these paranormal experiences be, and anything like it?

I think there are "many things between Heaven and Earth, Horatio, etc." and I know that's not a popular viewpoint here, so I'll claim the bacon defense. Having said that, I think the ghost hunting stuff is bunk. Even hardcore occultists can't agree on the matter. In one corner is kabbalistic bad boy Aleister Crowley who says it's pretty much all psychological, while in the other corner, weighing in at 124 pounds, is Feng-shui guru Stephen Skinner who claim it's all real.

People believe what they want to believe because it gives their lives meaning. I also think 99% of the stuff on youtube is junk. Anyone can make a youtube video and tell you that the moon is made of cheese. Heck, I even made a youtube video claiming the moon doesn't exist at all. I even got my former novel writing professor to play a Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist.
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Dr_Benedict_ZaroffPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 13:29
(0)

CS Original
I mean, there is nothing that can't be faked anymore. For example, how would you explain this picture (obviously a joke) to a die-hard believer?

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hitler+Iphone.+NOT+OC+JUST+FUNNY+Because+Photoshop+didn+t+exist+in_ddb075_3884946.jpg
#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
live and learnPosted: Aug 24, 2012 - 14:41
(0)

Quote from Dr_Benedict_Zaroff

Quote from Newbie

I think there are "many things between Heaven and Earth, Horatio, etc." and I know that's not a popular viewpoint here, so I'll claim the bacon defense. Having said that, I think the ghost hunting stuff is bunk. Even hardcore occultists can't agree on the matter. In one corner is kabbalistic bad boy Aleister Crowley who says it's pretty much all psychological, while in the other corner, weighing in at 124 pounds, is Feng-shui guru Stephen Skinner who claim it's all real.

People believe what they want to believe because it gives their lives meaning. I also think 99% of the stuff on youtube is junk. Anyone can make a youtube video and tell you that the moon is made of cheese. Heck, I even made a youtube video claiming the moon doesn't exist at all. I even got my former novel writing professor to play a Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist.

hmm, and what about the rest of the stuff? any opinion on those? and what do you think about supposed "photos" of ghosts? (the ones that haven't been proven as fake), or people who claim to have seen/communicated with/live with ghosts? something up with their brain chemistry? some kind of delusion or disorder?
#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
live and learnPosted: Aug 26, 2012 - 15:11
(0)

well, I'm not really afraid of this stuff anymore anyways. I am religious, which I know isn't exactly popular on this site but I'll just post what I feel. Being Sikh I don't deny that Ghosts and Spirits (good and bad) may exist, but I don't need to worry about that. I think that all these people who claim to have seen/spoken to "demons/fallen angels", really mean they've seen "ghosts" or "spirits", but are just misinterpreting what they see, most likely due to their belief system or their own personal opinions on such. I don't believe in angels and demons (though I did enjoy the Dan Brown Novel). I don't deny that aliens may exist, but not in our galaxy, perhaps in another galaxy. I don't think that ghosts or aliens (if they even exist) are really demons, the only people I see spouting that kind of belief are Christians that seem so wrapped up in their beliefs. I don't think aliens have visited us in the past and all these UFO sightings are likely either hoaxes or an occurence of nature, after all, like you mentioned, there isn't much that you CAN'T fake nowadays. I agree with your "bacon" argument, though I personally can't eat any more than a single slice of bacon without feeling sick :|
#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]